Friday 30 April 2010

Mainly Displaying Marsh Harriers

Today I've mostly been watching displaying Marsh Harriers. Got really good views of three birds in the air together, displaying, calling etc, really interesting to watch for a few hours, they do cover a large area. Whilst standing around watching the Harriers I also managed several Barn Swallow, 1 House Martin and 2 Swift in addition to several showy Yellowhammer, Corn Bunting (picture below - phone-scoped), Yellow Wagtail and a veritable assortment of warblers. Waders were in evidence also with displaying Lapwing, Snipe and Redshank all seen. A party of Whimbrel also showed nicely after being spooked by a low flying RAF jet. A Mallard paid the price for its stupidity when it got run over by a train in front of me, always a good way to start the day!



The local patch got a poor effort again today as it was raining fairly heavily for most of the afternoon, however my 4 duckling chicks were still alive and another family have arrived, I couldn't see all of the ducklings as they were hiding in the weeds but think that there was at least 4, possibly 5.

Not long now till I go to Lanzarote for a couple of weeks of sun and relaxation but will hopefully get out onto the patch in the next couple of days before I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment