Friday 27 August 2010

More Lancs birding

I went back over to my set of fields in Lancashire yesterday to see if the 3 juvenile Marsh Harriers were still around but after a while it was evident that they were not. The site was surprisingly quiet with only a few flights recorded, the best being a Peregrine that briefly crossed my airspace at height. As the evening progressed a brief view of a Barn Owl was had, followed later by a really good look at a Tawny Owl perched up by a farm building.

The highlight came late in the evening as an adult male Marsh Harrier flew into my site to roost in a wheat field. It was disturbed several times by the farm workers who were busy combining and baling up their straw which meant I got a few more flight views of it than I expected.

An other interesting sight was the thousands and thousands of Swallows that were gathering over the farmland before flying off in a swarm to the southwest.

I'm looking forward to this site during the winter to see what else turns up, Hen Harrier hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment