Sunday 24 April 2011

Another local Wheatear and more Cuckoo

The day started with a local dog walk around the village, straight away I picked up Cuckoo that seemed to follow me round as I went on my way. Eventually by the time I got home it was sat in the tree behind the house singing! But before I got home I was treated to a chorus of warbles and rattles, Blackcap, Garden Warbler, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff,Common Whitethroat and a very close-up Lesser Whitethroat rattling away in the bottom of a blackthorn. The rape, that's been in full flower for the last 2 weeks was attracting in numerous Reed Bunting, Yellowhammer, Meadow Pipit and Yellow Wagtail.

A walk somewhere I've not been before, Pocklington Canal from Hagg Bridge just after lunch was aborted due to the number of people along the tow path making it less enjoyable than hoped - though it certainly has potential when a bit quieter. A Cuckoo was also in evidence here, as well as several more of the aforementioned warblers, Corn Bunting and a Buzzard.

We decided to go for a walk somewhere a bit quieter and headed towards Menthorpe to the south of North Duffield but unfortunately there was some event thing going on there with lots of motor bikes and planes/helicopters! There was however also a single female Wheatear along the single track road. Just how many Wheatear are in the LDV at the moment and over the last few weeks remains one for debate - there must be loads! I'm not sure whether the number of birds is higher than most years, or the number of observers is higher than other years??? But they have certainly been spread all over with birds at Menthorpe, North Duffield, Wheldrake, East Heslington and over by Long Marston at least...

After the Wheatear there was not too much major excitement, but it was good to check out some areas that may potentially yield the goods in the future. A Mistle Thrush was provisioning a nest, the 3rd pair I've found locally this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment