Tuesday 11 October 2011

Redwings Back

No birding for me the last couple of days however I have had my first Redwing of the autumn back over the garden yesterday. Lapwing, Golden Plover, Geese and Gull numbers all seem to be increasing rapidly so hopefully I'll get chance to grill them in the coming days and weeks for something good amongst them. Not seen any more Yellow-legged Gulls recently.

'My' House Martins successfully fledged a couple of chicks at (presumably) their second attempt which was very pleasing. It was not particularly nice finding a pile of dead chicks under their nest at their first attempt. Most of the local House Martins seem to have departed however there are still a fair few around. Swallows too are decreasing however dawn and dusk seems to see a decent number as they arrive to, or depart from their roost in the maize crop.

Last week I saw two Hobbies, 1 down in mid-Lincs, the other just down the road in Escrick, probably my last ones for the year I'd guess, unless I get one on the Scillies next week....

No comments:

Post a Comment