Thursday 13 October 2011

Vis Mig in North Duffield

While most birders within earshot of the East Coast were bashing bushes for Sibes I was working on a major proposal that I have to get out before I go back to the Scillies next week. The bonus today was I that I was able to work at home (North Duffield) so I opened up my north-facing office window and listened out for the migrants going overhead. I wasn’t disappointed, well at least not until I got a phone call from Ade letting me know he’d just caught another Red-flanked Bluetail (see below) but I still managed the following:

Totals passing over the garden today (07.30-18.30) included:

Redwing: 399 (primarily directly west between 07.30 and 09.30, then south 09.30 onwards)
Fieldfare: 317 (mainly all south)
Mistle Thrush: 9 (south)
Blackbird: 3 (south)
Song Thrush: 1 (west)
Skylark: 6 (south)
Swallow: c20 (south)
House Martin: c25 (south)
Lapwing: 7 (south)
Golden Plover: 73 (south)
Shoveler: 1 (east)
Wigeon/Teal: 340 (mixed flock) (west)

Lots of finches were passing through however I didn’t try keeping a record of them. A male Great Spotted Woodpecker was a new individual for the garden (I’d had the female in June).

All in all fairly pleasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment