Saturday 6 October 2012

Pallid Harrier in South Yorkshire

This afternoon I decided on a bit of a whim to go over to Firsby Reservoir in South Yorkshire to twitch the Pallid Harrier that's been there for a couple of weeks, however it appeared that I may need a bit of luck as views have seemingly all too often been brief!

I got to the site and parked on the road (per instructions) and started to walk down the hill, my luck started when a guy picked me up and gave me a lift down to the bottom. There were cars parked everywhere down the lane (all locals by the sounds of it!)! I'd been stood at the metal gate for a matter of minutes, with about 12 other observers when someone whistled and signalled they'd got it. Surely not already?

A quick change of position and I was on it. Very lucky today! The bird had landed in a small willow on the edge of the reservoir where it sat for a few minutes that felt like hours! I got the following shots on my phone, unfortunately it was just a bit too far for my camera, but I can't grumble with the views!

Pallid Harrier (phone-scoped)

Pallid Harrier (phone-scoped)  

 Pallid Harrier (phone-scoped)

Pallid Harrier (phone-scoped) 

 Pallid Harrier (phone-scoped)

Pallid Harrier (phone-scoped)

After it flew around a bit it moved out of sight over the hill.  I gave it an hour or so but decided I was actually fairly pleased with my views so started the hike back up the hill. At this point I glanced over to see it heading towards me! I jumped up on the bank and watched as it circled before dropping onto a field, giving great views.  Unfortunately the light was fading but can't grumble with the views! After about 10 minutes on the ground it flew into its roost area and dropped out of sight. What a great bird!

Pallid Harrier sat on the deck (phone-scoped)

Pallid Harrier sat on the deck (phone-scoped)

Heard from Zing (thanks) that there was some decent birds at North Duffield Carrs this evening, 7 Marsh Harriers, some Whooper Swans and a Short-eared Owl amongst the regulars.  Looking forward to my visit tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment