Monday 31 December 2012

Final Bash of the Year at North Duffield Carrs

A massive flock of 800 Wood Pigeon flew low over the garden this morning which was an impressive sight, along with a few Stock Dove in amongst them. The dog walk produced a decent flock of Chaffinch but I couldn't find any Brambling today. There was a small flock of Fieldfare and Redwing about and quite a few Blackbirds. Still more Wood Pigeon went through.

I had a look at North Duffield Carrs this lunchtime to see if there was anything doing. It was fairly interesting with an adult male Peregrine putting all the Wood Pigeon and Lapwing from the valley up as it hunted at leisure. I'd estimate 2,500 Lapwing around the Carrs, with several thousand more along the valley - a very impressive sight. Quite a few Dunlin about and still plenty of Ruff and a few Golden Plover too.

Again plenty of wildfowl with the flock of 50+ Pochard still present and 13 Tufted Duck amongst thousands of Wigeon and Teal. A very nice pair of Pintail remain, but again just too far for the camera!

There was a very showy Wren close to the hide, though trying to get a photograph was quite hard amongst the vegetation, and a Great Tit popped in briefly too. As I was walking back to the car a Barn Owl gave a very nice fly-past. I just managed to get back to the car before the heavens opened!

Happy New Year to all my followers & readers, hope 2013 is good. I'll probably put my 2012 review up tomorrow if I have time.

Mute Swans

Mute Swans

Wren in front of the hide

Wren in front of the hide

Wren in front of the hide

Wren in front of the hide

Great Tit near the hide

No comments:

Post a Comment