Saturday 29 December 2012

Owls in York

Had two Barn Owls and one Tawny Owl today, otherwise not a great deal.

The weather was, yet again, horrible. A very wet dog walk produced a dozen or so Fieldfare but not a great deal else to be honest!

Just as it was getting dark I got a message about a possible interesting Regulus sp. down at North Duffield Carrs, but by the time I got down there the bird, and flock it was in (Long-tailed Tit and Treecreeper) had gone beyond a flood and I wasn't able to follow them! Will have to see if it comes back tomorrow, whatever it was! Compensation in the form of 2 Barn Owl sat on fence posts was nice though I didn't hang about as it was still raining.  A very brief glance out of the hide showed the water levels to have dropped by almost a foot and there was several Shoveler and lots of Lapwing and a few Ruff present. Will have a proper look tomorrow probably.

I went over to visit Rich in the Yorkshire Wolds this pm for my tea and had a very nice Tawny Owl sat in a roadside bush on my way home, presumably making the most of the near-full moon lighting up the country lanes.

No comments:

Post a Comment