Saturday 5 October 2013

PGTips Anyone?

Made an early (ish) morning trip across to Spurn Point to see if the possible/probable Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler that was found late on Friday afternoon was still present at Chalk Bank. The bird had been seen briefly when Dave and I got there and it wasn't long before an attempt was made to trap it. After ripping my legs to pieces on the Buckthorn the bird was driven into the net, however it very quickly became clear the bird was 'just' a Common Grasshopper Warbler - I thought Tim was winding me up at first! Not the ideal result, but a nice view of the bird nevertheless.

Dave and I had a walk around to see what we could find. More birds than my visit last week but still nothing too exciting, though finding a couple of Firecrest was nice, they gave nice views but I wasn't able to get any photos due to too many branches getting in the way!

Other bits we had grounded were: Common Redstart, Blackcap, Wheatear (on the roof of the hide at Chalk Bank), Common Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Goldcrest, Song Thrush and lots of Meadow Pipit etc. There was an impressive passage of Tree Sparrow (c100) and finches with a good number of Skylark, Meadow Pipit and Swallow.

Note this is the PGTips caught at Whitburn last Autumn, not todays bird (which was a Common Grasshopper Warbler) - unfortunately. Incidentally Ade caught another cracker of a bird this morning at Whitburn - Olive-backed Pipit! Details Here (pictures coming soon). Wish I had of gone up to his again, as I almost did!  
(Pallas's Gasshopper Warbler © Ian Mills 2012) 

No comments:

Post a Comment