Monday 18 September 2017

South Australian Pelagic - FINALLY GOT ON ONE

I'm currently in South Australia with my very good friends Dave and Sue Harper who are 3/4 of their way through a Big Year across the huge state of South Australia. I've spent the last two weeks and a bit here and we did an awesome Outback trip - will post on that soon, we got some MEGA birds!

This weekend just gone I was meant to be on a Pelagic trip, but as fate would have it for the 3rd time in the last 4 years it got cancelled, not because of the wind, or the swell (as in the two previous cancellations), but due to the boat getting 'broken' when it was having its boat-MOT-type-thing.... so no pelagic trip for me this year AGAIN....

BUT, as I'm still playing catch-up from the back end of 2016 on my blog I can finally share some photos with you of my November 2016 South Australia Pelagic out from Port Macdonnell. This is the only time I've managed to get out here and it was incredible! We saw so many birds and got photos of most of them too.

The birds seen during this awesome pelagic trip (voted as in the Top 2/3 trips of all time off here by people on the boat who had done c50+ trips over the years....) included the following...

Albatrosses: Shy, Salvin's, Black-browed, Campbell's, Indian Yellow-nosed, Antipodean Wandering, Gibson's Wandering, and Grey-headed.

Petrels: Gould's, White-headed, Soft-plumaged, Grey-faced, Great-winged, and White-chinned (unidentified Giant Petrel was too distant to confirm unfortunately).

Shearwaters: Short-tailed and Sooty.

Storm Petrels: Grey-backed and Wilson's.

Other species: Australasian Gannet, Greater Crested Tern, Silver Gull, Australian Pelican, and Black-faced Cormorant.

Here are the pics...

Black-browed Albatross

Black-browed Albatross

Campbell's Albatross

Campbell's Albatross

Grey-headed Albatross

Grey-headed Albatross

Indian Yellow-nosed Albatross

Salvin's Albatross

Salvin's Albatross

Shy Albatross

Shy Albatross

Wandering Albatross

Wandering Albatross

Wandering Albatross

Wandering Albatross and Blue Shark

Great-winged Petrel

Grey-faced Petrel

Soft-plumaged Petrel

White-chinned Petrel


White-headed Petrel

White-headed Petrel

Grey-backed Storm Petrel

Wilson's Storm Petrel

Huge thank you to Dave and Sue for getting my on to this trip, and for driving me all the way there and back. Hopefully I'll get on another one of these trips someday... maybe next year...!

No comments:

Post a Comment