Monday 13 February 2012

Barn Owls are just Great!

The day got off to an absolute belter, I took the dogs out at dawn for their morning walk. The snow had started to melt quite considerably and it was much milder than the previous few days which made a nice change!

I headed towards a small area of set-aside/fallow land (about 80m squared) I noticed there was a Barn Owl up hunting over it - great stuff. Always nice too see.

As I approached the field I caught sight of another flash of white. Another Barn Owl was hunting in the same area!

As I was taking in the two birds I couldn't believe my eyes as a third bird got up and started hunting in the same small area. I watched all three birds as they foraged over the field for about 10 minutes before they went out of view and I had to crack on. Amazing stuff.


Barn Owl © Richard Hampshire

The only other birds recorded of note was a single Great Spotted Woodpecker, a few Fieldfare, Reed Bunting and two Kestrel.

I spent the day in the office in York City Centre. The highlight here was late morning when a male Goosander flew through following the route of the river. Loads of gulls flew over duing the late afternoon, presumably heading towards the Wheldrake gull roost.

5 comments:

  1. Those Barnies are great indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you, a fine start to the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tammy + Dave - the three were still showing off nicely this morning too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds the perfect way to start the day...fingers crossed for no more harsh weather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Claire - such a good way to put me in a good mood in the morning! Think I've had at least 7 Barn Owls this week now!! http://awbirder.blogspot.com/2012/02/7-barn-owls.html

    ReplyDelete