Friday 23 April 2010

Mucho Migrants

I've had a busy but enjoyable couple of days at the end of the week, a dawn patrol of the local patch proved very enjoyable. 3 singing male Lesser Whitethroat and a Common Whitethroat being the best reportable birds. A Grey Wagtail along the edge of Patch Pond was providing a bit of entertainment for one of the local cats, I wonder if the cats are the reason the ducklings have vanished - that or the Chavs. 2 Speckled Wood butterflies were seen very briefly.

I've been surveying north of Preston the last couple of days, highlights included several Whimbrel, about 60 Wheatear (including many 'Greenland' Wheatears), 4 White Wagtails, 4 Yellow Wagtails, Barn Owl, Tree Pipit, hundreds of Barn Swallow, 2 House martin, 6 Tree Sparrow, c30 Corn Bunting and pride of place to a stonker of a male Ring Ouzel singing away.

This Corn Bunting was very close, at one stage it landed in the bush 2ft behind me! Unfortunately I still can't get my zoom function to work on my BlackBerry, hence why it looks like it's a mile away!

No comments:

Post a Comment