Wednesday 21 April 2010

More Migrants Arriving

A beautiful sunny morning today in York was very welcome, however the ground frost was not! I'd literally walked 50ft onto my patch and straightaway heard the distinctive rattle of the Lesser Whitethroat. A quick pish and it popped out of some really dense scrub looked at me and carried on singing away. A few footsteps further along and a small movement caught my eye in some scattered scrub/area of brambles, again a quick pish and a Common Whitethroat appeared in full view about 6ft away. The male Willow Warbler from the Patch Pond was again present and singing away in the willows. The usual route produced Chiffchaff, Blackcap and several pairs of Bullfinch. In addition another nest-building pair of Blackbirds were found and a Meadow Pipit was heard in flight over the patch. Three Greylag Geese and a pair of Mallard were present on the Patch Flash. 2x Species X were still present.

The evening saw at least 350 Common Gulls and 20 Lesser Black-backed Gulls all flying south.

Today I spent the day in my new office where I added to my 'office list', this now stands at about 6/7 species!

No comments:

Post a Comment