Tuesday 2 August 2011

Nightjar Score!

After last weeks no show I went back to my top secret Nightjar site in the hope of connecting with some birds last night as it was about 20 degrees hotter than my previous attempt with tonnes of moths and other insects - many biting, about. However on this occasion I scored big style with two pairs recorded, interestingly and rather surprisingly the two males of the pairs were still churring with one of them 'wing-clapping'. These were really great views but got better when one of the females landed on the track about 5 feet in front of me!

An unexpected bonus was a Green Sandpiper that flew over calling in the middle of the night! More expected was the several family groups of Long-eared and Tawny Owls recorded.


This is what it looked like! Check out Grahams excellent blog for images of Nightjar and other stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment