Sunday 25 May 2014

Taiwan Birding Trip

It has been a long while since I've written a blog post, sorry about that. I've been incredibly busy with work and then have been on a birding trip to Taiwan. More on that over the next couple of weeks....

The Taiwan trip was designed primarily to connect with the Fairy Pitta, a globally vulnerable species seemingly in decline (along with the majority of pitta species unfortunately). The other reason for the trip was to try and see as many of the endemic species that live on the island. There are a number of endemic species currently recognized, there's another set of very distinct endemic sub-species that have a very high likelihood of being raised to endemic species status and then there's another set of endemic sub-species that are just that, for the moment, but certainly worth seeing... just in case!

The trip was very successful with over 150 species recorded including pretty much all of the endemics.  I'll put a trip report up as usual when I can find time detailing where I went, what I saw etc. But for now, here's a picture of the Fairy Pitta that I had on the first day of the trip...

Fairy Pitta, Taiwan Andy Walker 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment