Sunday 4 January 2015

Patchwork Challenge

I've decided to do the 'Patchwork Challenge' this year. Their blog is here: http://patchworkchallenge.blogspot.co.uk/

I've selected an area that stretches from Bubwith Bridge, up to North Duffield Carrs and village (including my house and the footpaths/areas I walk my dogs) across to Skipwith Common. I've put a rough idea of my patch below:

My Patch - rough map view

My Patch - rough satellite view

Although I've not participated in the Patchwork Challenge before I will know if a bird is 'good' or not as I've birded this patch a fair bit over the last 3/4 years. A lot will depend on the water levels over the year and how much I can keep motivated to get out and look for birds - I prefer the foreign stuff! Hopefully I won't miss too much when I am abroad this year...!

I've had a couple of visits to North Duffield Carrs and my dog walk circuit over the weekend and am now up to 60 species (and 62 points). Mainly all common stuff though the Bewick's Swan in with the Whooper Swan flock today is the best bird so far. I've also had a few waders that can be tricky on the patch at this time of the year such as Redshank and Curlew, though they are easy in a couple of months time...

It's amazing how different two days can be. One Saturday afternoon the reserve was full of Golden Plover, Lapwing, Ruff and Dunlin, today there was just a handful of Ruff and Dunlin and only a few Lapwing and Golden Plover. I guess the difference is down to the frozen ground today. There is also a sizable flock Shelduck present at the moment, getting on for 70 birds, unusual for the time of the year I think. The flock of Whoopers today was double the count of yesterdays too.

The Bewick's Swans with Whooper Swans from Bird Race 2013!

1 comment:

  1. I've attempted patches in two different states at roughly the same time.... bit of a fail. Hopefully I can do better this year now that I've been settled in the same place for a year. Good luck with your challenge!

    ReplyDelete