Saturday 5 January 2019

First Birding of 2019

Today I went birding for the first time in 2019 (I'm currently in Adeliade, South Australia). I'd seen a paltry 20 species in the first few days of the year, but that was without leaving my friends house as I'm currently busy sorting out logistics for Thailand, India, Australia, West Papua, Sulawesi, Java, and New Zealand tours for this year.

Garden birds over the last few days have included New Holland Honeyeater (my favorite), Common Bronzewing, Galah, Long-billed Corella, and Black-shouldered Kite.

Today however we headed out to the Toderol Game Reserve about an hour south of Adelaide. This is a shorebird mega site and we had a great list of species. Highlight birds were the two Long-toed Stints we found, along with a Pectoral Sandpiper, and many other shorebirds such as Pacific Golden Plover, Marsh Sandpiper, Common Greenshank, Curlew Sandpiper, Red-capped Plover, Red-kneed Dotterel, Red-necked Avocet, Royal and Yellow-billed Spoonbill, Glossy Ibis, Swamp and Spotted Harriers, Black-tailed Nativehen, Elegant Parrot, Pink-eared Duck, and Horsfield's Bronze Cuckoo - along with many more!

For a full list of sightings take a look at my ebird Checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51326819

Long-toed Stint. One of two seen during the morning.

Pectoral Sandpiper.

Marsh Sandpiper.


No comments:

Post a Comment