Friday 18 March 2011

More Great Grey Shrike in the LDV

I got a message this morning (thanks Alan) informing me that the Great Grey Shrike had again been re-sighted at North Duffield Carrs (the 3rd time its been seen in about 5 weeks). Unfortunately I was down in Nottingham for a meeting so was unable to get over to check it out.

Interestingly [presumably] it was also found during the afternoon at Skipwith Common. A quick look on google earth from approximate point to point locations plots the straight line distance between the two shrike sightings from today at just over 3 km!


Great Grey Shrike © Marek Szczepanek (undated).

I imagine this bird is working the hedgerows within the area and is therefore spending a large proportion of time out of view from publicly viewable areas. My hope is that it follows the hedge out of Skipwith Common and ends up in (or viewable from) my garden! Unlikely I know but I can dream! Incidentally I've added Oystercatcher and Curlew to my garden list this past week (taking me to 52 species now).

No comments:

Post a Comment