Tuesday 22 March 2011

New Site, More Shrikeage and some more garden ticks!

I visited a new site today and immediately knew it is one that is going to keep me very, very busy! 2 Red Kite, Buzzard, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, 1000 Golden Plover, with Curlew, Redshank, Lapwing, Snipe and Oystercatcher looking likely to breed. All in glorious weather, up to 17 degrees C!

On the way home I popped into Skipwith Common for a quick 10 minutes where I was treated to spectacular views of the hitherto elusive Great Grey Shrike. Whilst I was watching it it made several sorties up out of its favourite perch to catch Bumblebees, with a very good success rate too. During the day it was seen to catch a range of creatures including the odd Lizard! I managed a couple of shots on my phone (below).


Great Grey Shrike at Skipwith Common


Great Grey Shrike at Skipwith Common

I spent the last couple of hours during the afternoon working from home, this was extra productive as I had two garden ticks, the first was a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker that flew low through the garden tantalisingly close to landing in the big oak tree! As it flew off I noticed a Buzzard up displaying. I've had Buzzard over the village in the past, but surprisingly this was a well overdue garden tick for me. There appeared to be several birds moving about this evening with flocks of Fieldfare and Golden Plover noted over the garden.

2 comments:

  1. How nice of him to face the light, just right for you!Lovely pose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tammy, it was the first time i've seen this particular bird other than at dusk/early morning. Unfortunately I don't like the quality from my new Blackberry, I need to invest in a camera!

    ReplyDelete