Saturday 10 October 2020

Bali Lockdown Birding - Garden List Hits 50!

There's been another shift in the winds recently in Bali along with several severe thunderstorms and I've had a few garden ticks in the last couple of weeks too (I'm in Ubud) - such as Blue-tailed Bee-eater, Pacific Swift, White-breasted Woodswallow, White-throated Needletail, Common Myna, and Javan Myna. 

Today, after a huge storm that lasted most of the night and all morning I got two ticks in two minutes once it stopped - firstly a flock of three Wood Sandpipers, followed by a single Grey Heron, happy days! 

Grey Heron actually took my garden list to 50 species! I've been here almost 7 months now. 

  1. Olive-backed Sunbird
  2. Yellow-vented Bulbul
  3. Javan Pond Heron
  4. Cave Swiftlet
  5. Plaintive Cuckoo
  6. Collared Kingfisher
  7. Eastern Cattle Egret
  8. Edible-nest Swiftlet
  9. Zebra Dove
  10. Spotted Dove
  11. Javan Munia
  12. Eurasian Tree Sparrow
  13. Javan Kingfisher
  14. Large-billed Crow
  15. Striated Swallow
  16. Chinese Sparrowhawk
  17. Scaly-breasted Munia
  18. Pacific Swallow
  19. Intermediate Egret
  20. Grey-cheeked Green Pigeon
  21. Pied Bush Chat
  22. Orange-bellied Flowerpecker
  23. Black-naped Fruit Dove
  24. Black-crowned Night Heron
  25. Savanna Nightjar
  26. Olive-backed Tailorbird
  27. Rock Dove (Feral Pigeon)
  28. White-headed Munia
  29. Rusty-breasted Whistler
  30. Asian Glossy Starling
  31. Pink-necked Green Pigeon
  32. Little Spiderhunter
  33. Scarlet-headed Flowerpecker
  34. House Swift
  35. Common Iora
  36. Java Sparrow
  37. Sunda Scops Owl
  38. Barn Swallow
  39. Short-tailed Starling
  40. Little Egret
  41. White-throated Needletail
  42. Brown-backed Needletail
  43. Zitting Cisticola
  44. Javan Myna
  45. Blue-tailed Bee-eater
  46. White-breasted Woodswallow
  47. Pacific Swift
  48. Common Myna
  49. Wood Sandpiper
  50. Grey Heron
Here are a few photos of some of the birds from the garden, my camera has been packed away for the most part so I've missed some very good photo ops.. such as the only time I've seen the Java Sparrow perched... about 10ft away from me at eye-level - DOH! Happy with the ones below though...



Javan Kingfisher


Grey-cheeked Green Pigeon


Pied Bush Chat


Scaly-breasted Munia


(Eastern) Spotted Dove


Yellow-vented Bulbul


Zebra Dove

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures!
    If you want to see more photos of birds, I share you my blog.

    https://avesdecordobayargentina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful pictures!
    If you want to see more photos of birds, I share you my blog.

    https://avesdecordobayargentina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andy, just noticed your pics on twitter. My sister, Andrea, is a beginner birder and living in Ubud at present but isn't on twitter. I've copied your tweet to her so she may be in touch.She is keen to contact any local birders. Regards Howard Taffs

    ReplyDelete