Saturday 3 October 2020

Sulawesi Birding Trip Report - September 2020

In early-September 2020 I took a flight from Denpasar, Bali to Manado, North Sulawesi (via Makassar, South Sulawesi). Nice easy and fairly quick journey of about 4 hours including the stops with a bit of faff for Covid-screening etc. 

The plan was for 3 nights at Tangkoko with 1 night at Tomohon (for birding at Mt Mahawu) on the tip on the Minahassa Peninsula. I think I was the first western person to have gone birding around Tangkoko National Park/Nature Reserve since Covid happened and everything shut down, as a result the usual known stakeouts for many of the birds were not currently known as the local guides hadn't been into the park for many months. I had two mornings in Tangkoko Nature Reserve, one afternoon session there and one session at nearby Temboan Hill, and one morning on the mangrove boat ride. Weather at Tangkoko was hot and dry. Over near Tomohon I had one wet morning birding session of a couple of hours at Mt Mahawu. The birding at Tangkoko was really enjoyable. Quiet at times with lots of walking to cover the distance but I got a lot of the targets I was after. Birding at Mt Mahawu was not very successful due to the poor weather conditions. Full sighting details on my eBird profile here. It was a useful trip to go and check out a few spots that we visit on our July Sulawesi and Halmahera tour - details of which can be found here

Here are a few of the highlight birds that I managed to photograph during the trip:

Green-backed Kingfisher - front view!

Green-backed Kingfisher - back view!

Lilac Kingfisher

Great-billed Kingfisher (Black-billed Kingfisher)

Knobbed Hornbill

Knobbed Hornbill

Ochre-bellied Boobook


Ashy Woodpecker


Yellow-billed Malkoha


Bay Coucal


Isabelline Bush-hen


Red-backed Thrush


Sacred Kingfisher


Snowy-browed Flycatcher


Sulawesi Blue Flycatcher


Citrine Canary-flycatcher


Uniform Swiftlet


Warbling (Mountain) White-eye


White-faced Cuckoo-Dove


White-necked Myna


Yellow-sided Flowerpecker


Lesser Frigatebird


Sulawesi Black Macaque


Spectral Tarsier


Sulawesi Bear Cuscus


Sulawesi Lined Gliding Lizard


After these few days in North Sulawesi I flew across to Halmahera where I had some amazing birds. I will post details of that trip soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment