Wednesday 25 April 2012

Arctic Tern: Year List Gold

If I was doing a local (York area) year list - which I'm not - I'd have seen a good bird this evening. Following on with the national fallout of Arctic Terns I got lucky and connected too.  I spoke to a wise old man this afternoon who suggested I should stand at Bubwith Bridge and dodge the traffic and look out for terns following on the river. So I duly listened and found a good excuse to get out there in the rain this evening (car needs fuel). I gave it a good hour and just as I was about to give up I picked up a distant tern heading south along the flood. Got my scope on it and it was clear it was a smart Arctic Tern. I watched it as it flew closer and then as I zoomed out realised it was one of 3 birds. They headed south towards me before turning northeast and then back east as they flew out of view.

I'd been scanning through the gulls heading towards the Humber to roost in the hope of Little Gulls or something better but no joy today - hopeful for tomorrow though...

Also on the flood was at least 65 Tufted Duck, 8 Shelduck and 1 Great Crested Grebe. A flock of 65 Swallows appeared as the evening approached and a single male Yellow Wagtail was feeding along the edge of the flood, other than that there was a few Mallard, Shoveler and Gadwall.

Earlier in the afternoon on my way home from the office I checked out a few local spots briefly getting my first Sedge Warbler of the year, announcing itself in spectacularly explosive style. Other bits included female Goldeneye and at least 15 Whimbrel (for some interesting info on Whimbrel and other aspects of the LDV check out the excellent LDV Blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment